Wednesday, December 17, 2014

To support a friend...

Last week a good friend shared with me that he decently been diagnosed with bipolar after experiencing some debilitating anxiety attacks. My heart broke. As a nurturing spirit, my first instinct was to save him, rescue him. But I know that, for all the wanting it, I just can't fix him. 

What I can do is share all that I've learned from my experience, knowing that no two people are the same and what worked for me may not work for him. I can use my life coaching skills to facilitate and support healthy changes in his life. But I can't make him want to change, or want to commit to making healthier choices in his life. 

But what's most important is just being there for him, to listen, and be on the other end of the phone when he can't get up off the floor. To let him know that it's okay, that he's okay. And remind him there is hope, even when he doesn't believe it. Because hope can look like a simple hug. 





No comments:

Post a Comment