Saturday, August 16, 2014

Stranger Danger

When was the last time you talked to a stranger? On the bus? In line at grocery store? Even just said "Hello" or "Good morning!"

A couple of weeks ago I was walking along on my way to a therapy session, deep in thought about what was coming. I noticed a lady standing still on the sidewalk with a really faraway stare. My spidey senses told me something was amiss so I approached her. After asking "are you okay?" She thanked me and told me how she's just saved a kid from being hit by a taxi on his skateboard. She was feeling overcome with adrenaline and was trying to calm down. This wasn't necessarily an instant where I made much of an impact in this woman's life. But I hope it was enough, just to create another connection in the world. 

The story of an Australian man named Don Ritchie has touched me very deeply. Don officially saved the lives of over 160 people from suicide (but some guess the number is closer to 400). He lived by a cliff on the coast of Sydney called "The Gap" that is a notorious suicide location. Each day Don would keep an eye out for people in trouble and would strike up a conversation with them, invite them for tea and just be there to offer a friendly ear or word. I've no doubt that many call this man an Angel. 

You never know when reaching out to someone - even someone you don't know - can change their life for the better. 

Perhaps the real stranger danger is the isolation and separation we create in our society as a result of our fears.

Here's a short video highlighting Don's amazing efforts... Enjoy, be  inspired and take action in your own way.


Jas <3

No comments:

Post a Comment